Broccoli Cheese Soup (vegan)
Easy to make broccoli cheese soup (vegan style), in an Instant Pot or stovetop.
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
6 cups chopped broccoli (if using frozen, reduce milk to 2 cups)
16 oz vegetable broth
2 1/2 cups oat milk (any milk substitute will work - almond, rice or coconut milk)
1 1/3 cup canned coconut milk (must be coconut milk, using the thick portion)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
dash of paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
dash of salt
1. Lightly coat the bottom of the Instant Pot or stock pot (for stove top cooking) with olive oil.
2. Cook onions and garlic for about 4 minutes.
3. Add broth, milk substitute, canned coconut milk, and broccoli, bring to a simmer.
4. Instant Pot: add nutritional yeast and all spices, stir and place lid on Instant Pot and cook SOUP for 1 hour.
4. Stove top: simmer or boil, until broccoli is soft, stir often. Then reduce heat and add nutritional yeast and spices, let simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Make a rue by whisking together 2 tablespoons of all-purpose, gluten free flour and 4 tablespoons of oat milk (or milk substitute), this should be THICK.
6. Instant Pot: make sure the Instant Pot has all the pressure released (if necessary) and then add the rue, stirring until the soup is your desired thickness.
6. Stove top: add the rue and stir until the soup is your desired thickness.
7. Serve with a sprinkling of shredded dairy free cheese (*Daiya or Violife).
Servings: 3 (2 cups per serving)
Allergy free from: